Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent

I am new to making my own detergent, but I have tried a few ways and this is the one I like the most.
It is really easy and cheap, and it makes a lot from a little.

Ingredients:
2/3 of a bar of Castile soup.
(I used the other 1/3 to make two batches of kids shampoo/wash)
1 cup of Borax
1/2 cup of Baking Soda or Baking Wash
Water
5 gallon bucket



Grate down the castile soap.


Melt it into 5 cups of simmering water.


Add three gallons of hot water to the bucket.
Add the Borax & Baking Soda to the hot water.
Once the Castile soap is fully melted, add it to the hot water mixture. 


Cover and let it sit for at least 24 hours.


This is the final product!

You use 1/2cup per load, so the batch will wash approximately 64 loads. 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

cfgyexy6464 said...

I've been wanting to try making my own laundry soap, but have been intimidated for some reason. Do you have good results using this for diapers, too?

p.s. Love that chicken coop :)

Unknown said...

Great post! I pretty much failed all of my domestic/housewife courses, lol...so just doing laundry feels like such an accomplishment for me. :D Even though I'm not June Cleaver-like, I have always been intrigued with making my own laundry detergent. It's so expensive at the store, and honestly we do SO much laundry, taking this step could be a real money saver for us.

Bookmarked your "recipe" so I can give this a whirl. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Katie
Trying to make it through homeschooling a sixth grader without losing what’s left of my mind!